Thursday, August 23, 2012

thursday through my eyes...

as a new school year begins
and as summer draws to a close,
i cant help but reminisce about my childhood. 

my family.
 my whole family... together.
all six of us.
not the broken pieces we are now.

i think about my friends.
long days at the swimming pool.
i remember looking out the window at night, 
not wanting to go to bed, 
wishing i could stay up with "the big kids"
{i was the youngest of 4 children}

i think about the days where i would run around barefoot all day long.
not a care in the world.
now, i take my shoes off on the gravel and try to hold my balance.
the rocks feel sharp, nothing like they use to. 

through my eyes
the world is a much different place. 
it isn't innocent.
it isn't at all like i remember.

the sad thing is that the reason it looks different through my eyes is because it is different.
parents don't let their children play in the street all day, whistling when it's time to come home from dinner.

i am scared for the world my children will experience.
and i can't help but wonder what they will see, through their eyes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment