Tuesday, January 19, 2010

my baptism.

the day of my baptism was nothing like i have ever experienced.

i woke up on the morning of april 19, 2008 with a smile on my face. i was ready. i got ready for the day and headed to my boyfriends house where his family was anxiously awaiting my arrival. the atmosphere in their home was nothing short of pure joy and the smiles on everyone's faces made me even happier than i already was.

the drive to the church, where the baptism was to take place, seemed much longer than it actually was. it was quiet in the car as we listened to the mormon tabernacle choir, and gave me time to really reflect on the event that was about to happen. as we got closer and closer to the church building the butterflies in my stomach became more and more intense, and by the time we reached the building, i will admit it. i was nervous.

my boyfriend and i went inside and got dressed in our white clothing... in the LDS church, individuals who are being baptized and those doing to baptizing both wear white. white not only symbolizes purity and cleanliness, but it also is symbolic of what happens after you are baptized. at baptism, a person is washed clean of their sins... they then try to live their life in the best possible way, the most pure and clean way that they can, white is a reminder of this.

after getting dressed, we returned to the room where the baptism was going to take place. i was shocked to see how many people had shown up to be with me on my special day. many friends and individuals from the church had come to support me, and most importantly, my family came. my mom came with her sister (my aunt) and my dad and his wife came, along with my brother and his girlfriend. it meant so much to me that they were all there for me on this day that was so very important to me.

as the baptism started i was nervous for so many people to be watching me. in fact i could barely concentrate on the people who were talking (i was able to chose two people to speak at my baptism)...after the first speaker, it was time for the actual baptism to take place...

in the LDS church, baptism is done by full immersion under the water in a baptismal font. as my boyfriend and i entered the font all my previous worries had disappeared. in fact, something rather amazing happened....my perspective had changed and it was as if he and i were the only ones in the room. i had forgotten that an entire room full of people was looking at me and i concentrated only on what was happening... the water was warm and i can still remember the way it felt against the baptismal clothing.

after i was baptized, i cannot describe the feelings that i was overcome with. as i write this entry i am also overwhelmed by emotion. for that reason, and because the memory is so sacred to me, i am not going to explain every detail, however i will say that i have never been so happy, and felt so clean in my entire life. it was if i was floating on the clouds and nothing could pull me down. ever.

i returned to the room where all my friends and family were, after changing into dry clothes, and the second speaker gave their talk. then the baptism was closed with a word of prayer.

i was able to meet with everyone afterward. the room was filled with happiness and time passed by very quickly. i wished that it would have lasted forever.

i want to tell you, that the emotions that i felt after i was baptized give me, without a shadow of doubt, the confidence and knowledge that i made the right decision to be baptized into the LDS faith.

my life was changed forever that day, and i am so happy that it was.

17 comments:

  1. And so are we, babe. So are we.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really neat that you've written about all of this. I was baptized my sophomore year on college, but I didn't write down any of my memories. I wish I had. They're all so fuzzy now and I can't remember life being any different than it is now. You're a great writer. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you ladies! I am happy that I have the memories for now, because I know that I am going to go fuzzy soon too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kristen- new reader here! I didn't realize that non-LDS people could witness an LDS baptism. Your parents were allowed to watch the ceremony?

    (I'm visiting one year after you wrote this, via ThatWife)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cristin-

    Thanks for reading! I love hearing from my readers!

    Yes, my parents were there...I was very lucky to be able to have my parents and one of my brother's at my baptism {along with countless members of the ward that I was going to that came to show their support}. I use the word lucky because, in many cases, families of converts choose not to come to baptisms based on their disagreement with the choice of the one being baptized.

    Baptisms actually take place in a church building {where we meet on sunday's and for other church activities like potlucks and holiday parties} rather than a temple and because members and non-members are allowed in any of the church buildings anyone can go to a baptism.

    Before my baptism, and because I don't like surprises, I actually asked the Missionaries that were teaching me at the time if I could go to someone else's baptism before mine so I could see what they were like, and also to see what I was getting myself into. I was able to go to one a few days later... It was an amazing experience to see someone being baptized before my own baptism. Watching someone else going through what I was going to go through, and seeing their happiness throughout the baptism ceremony, and feeling that joy that I felt merely watching, re-confirmed my desire to be baptized.

    All-in-all, yes my parent's were able to come...and I was, and am, so beyond happy that they were able to share that with me!

    Thank you again for reading, and thank you for the question!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I found your blog through Kali Leenstra's blog. It is so inspirational. I am a member of the LDS Church as well. I served a mission in Australia from 2000-2002 and it was an incredible experience. I love hearing converts' conversion stories. Thank you so much for sharing yours here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I have ALWAYS wanted to go to Australia! I am so jealous! My husband and I want to serve a mission together when we're older! Maybe we'll be sent there! :]

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousMay 11, 2011

    Dearest Kristen,
    While doing my research about my own upcoming baptism into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints I came across your blog post.
    I was only approached last evening when the Sister Missionaries came for my lessons (2nd) if I had a desire to be baptized. OF COURSE I had a desire. Nothing meant more to me. I asked them if they were going to prepare me for this and all my questions and they said they would in the coming visits. My baptism is scheduled for June 15, 2011.
    My main questions regarding my internet search was about the clothing. Did I need to purchase that white jumpsuit or much nicer, a long white dress. My next question was, what to wear after. Another white dress or something pretty. I know, kind of silly questions for a 54 year old woman but valid none the less. I do know I need to purchase "new, white, undies" times two. One set for before and one dry set.
    I enjoyed reading your comments on your own baptism. Just by being asked, I burst into tears. Happy ones of course.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am SO happy that you found my blog!! You questions are so normal...and the missionaries/prayers WILL answer all of your questions. If you have questions you would like to ask me you can email me ldseyes@gmail.com. The only reason they suggest white underwear for your baptism is so that there isn't bright pink underwear showing through the baptism clothes (which are all provided by the building you get baptized in and are thick enough nothing should show through regardless if you are in pink or white underwear...its just a double pre-caution, so no worries about finding your own white jumpsuit OR dress for the baptism, and no worries about anything showing!) As far as afterwards, you can wear anything you want! I bought a simple white summer dress for fun, but it doesn't matter at all! Those are not the important details anywho! The BEST part is the choice you are making...it will truly change your life, in many, many, MANY positive ways!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is so inspiring~ I'll be baptized tomorrow~ and live a new life as a new LDS member :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. IAmJenifer, i am so excited for you. this is just the beginning of such a wonderful journey for you! enjoy every moment...and write it in a journal! {you will want that memory forever!}

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mormons are not Christians. Do not be deceived. Who is Jesus Christ? Into what were you baptized?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm getting baptized in a couple hours, reading this made me even more excited :) Cant wait to read the rest of your blog later!

    ReplyDelete
  14. that makes me SO happy! i was just at a baptism too! :) i am so excited for you! you will be an example to SOOOO many people!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Michael, I can assure you that the LDS church (mormon church) is Christian to it's core. If by Christian you mean being a beiever and a follower of Jesus Christ and his teachings. The center of our church, and everything about our church centers around, and revolves around Jesus Christ. Afterall, the name of our church is "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints"

    Jesus Christ is the son of God, The Eternal Father. He is the Savior of the world, and of all mankind. Only through his atoning sacrifice we can be forgiven of our sins...

    I was baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost...and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

    I hope this answers your questions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi,i am a female age 19.I was adopted at age 13 by very loving and caring catholic parents and was baptized into the catholic faith shortly after my adoption.Since i was starting a new life,it was decided that i would receive my baptism as an infant thru the infant baptism program.My name was added to the infant baptism roster and i was considered for my baptism.For the ceremony,my parents dressed me as an infant in a poofy,white,above the knees dress with a matching bonnet,lace anklets and white mary jane shoes. They did a cloth diaper,plastic pants,and under shirt under my dress.i was just like an infant for the ceremony and entered gods kingdom as an infant that day.it was very special for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous,

    Thank you for sharing your story with me. I was actually baptized when I was a baby as well. My parents baptized me in the Episcopal church. We have pictures of that day and similar to you, I was wearing a long white dress with matching bonnet. I wish my mom still had the dress and we could have dressed our daughter in it! :)

    ReplyDelete